Arthritis is very common disease and one can find patient of arthritis in almost every family. According to a survey in India more than 65 % of people ageing 65 years of more suffers from some kind of arthritis.
Arthritis is classified in Ayurveda as कष्टसाध्य रोग (Kasthsadhya Rog – difficult to cure). If not treated, the disease can become असाध्य (Incurable).
There are many types of arthritis. Two basic types of arthritis, which we can see commonly are.
- Osteoarthritis (संधिगत वात – Sandhigat Vata)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (आम वात – Aam Vata)
Osteoarthritis: संधिगत वात
This is most common type of Arthritis. It is more common as the age progresses.
In simple words, Osteoarthritis is result of general wear and tear of joints.
The common cause of osteoarthritis are as below
- Infection of joint
- Neuromuscular weakness
- Lake of exercise
- Improper walking, sitting, standing posture
These factors make certain joints vulnerable to get affected by Aggravated Vata.
Aggravated Vata is the responsible for Osteoarthritis.
The Vata gets aggravated due to various reasons as mentioned below.
- Irregular food habits
- Excessive intake of dry and LAGHU food
- Night watching
- Lack of sleep
- Exposure to excessive cold
- Excessive exercise without proper rest
These factors cause aggravation of Vata in vulnerable joints
Rheumatoid Arthritis: आम वात
RA is considered as Autoimmune disease, where own immune system causes systemic inflammation including capsule covering joints making joint inflamed and painful movement of such joint. Apart from involvement of Joints, other organs are often affected, like inflammation of heart, lungs, eyes etc, if not treated properly.
The reason for Rheumatoid Arthritis is accumulation of आम (Aam – Toxins) and improper functioning of immune system.
Aam is accumulated in excess in two way.
Excess Production of Aam
- Improper working of अग्नि (Agni – Digestive fire). In other words improper digestion of food.
- When food is digested improperly, it results in defective धातु (Dhatu – building block of physical body, namely – Ras : Initial liquid solution resulting from Digestion, Rak : Blood, Mams : Muscle, Med : Fat, Asthi : Bone, Majja : Bone marrow, Sukhra : Ovum / Sperm)
Reduced removal of Aam
- Due to various reasons removal of Aam from system is get affected. Resulting in accumulation of Aam in excess in body.
Effects of Aam
- Excess Ama circulates in body and accumulates in joints and other organs.
- Aam due to its own nature of being defective, causes inflammation where it has been accumulated.
- व्याधिक्षमत्व (Own Immune system) wrongly identify accumulated Aam as foreign substance and attack it resulting in inflammation of body part, where Aam is accumulated.
Various factors results in excess accumulation of Aam in body
- Incompatible food habits (विरुद्ध आहार – Virrudha Aahar)
- Eating food against one’s constitution (प्रकृति विरुद्ध आहार – Prakruti Virrudha Aahar)
- Emotional factors like fear, anger, agitation etc
- Daytime sleeping
At Maharshi Atreya Health Centre (Ayurvedic Panchakarma Hospital and Ayurvedic Clinic) we follow a comprehensive approach towards the treatment of arthritis.
Avoidance / Removal of Causative factor.
After प्रकृति परिक्षण (Detailed consultation / history taking) we can identify cause of arthritis and we give advise accordingly to avoid such causative factors.
Panchakarma therapy is a combination of five procedures, which detoxify the body and balance the three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha).
You can take the Panchakarma therapy in-house at our Ayurvedic Health Centre at Undera, Vadodara.
Alternatively, you can also take the Panchakarma therapy on OPD Basis (without lodging and boarding) at our Ayurvedic Panchakarma Clinic at Race Course Circle, Vadodara.
We give specific Ayurvedic herbs for the treatment of aggravated Vata and for improper digestion (मंदाग्नि)
Ayurvedic medicines used at MAHC are made in a GMP certified Pharmacy. GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certification is a system for ensuring that products are consistently produced and controlled according to quality standards.
We follow global standards of packaging. Our medicines are always safely and hygienically packed, using the latest high-barrier packaging techniques.
Upon completion of Panchakarma Rejuvenation therapy, you can get Ayurvedic herbal remedies from our Panchakarma Clinic at Vadodara (Race Course Circle).
The diet is an important factor in the prevention and treatment of the arthritis. At our Ayurvedic Panchakarma centre at Undera, we serve freshly prepared Ayurvedic diet. Prepared according to your constitution, this diet helps in detoxification and balancing of the three doshas.
Dietary Advice for Rheumatoid Arthritis
|Good for Rheumatoid arthritis patient (સંધિવાત દર્દી માટે અનુકૂળ)|
|Horse gram||કળથી||Hot water for bathing and drinking||ગરમ પાણી નહાવા અને પીવા માટે|
|Red rice||રક્તશાલી (ચોખા)||Castor oil||દિવેલ|
|Bitter gourd||કરેલા||Pointed gourd||પરવર|
|Bad for Rheumatoid arthritis patient (સંધિવાત દર્દી માટે પ્રતિકૂળ)|
|Black gram||અળદ||Excess stress||વધુ પડતી ચિંતા|
|Sweets||મીઠાઈઓ||Air condition||એર કન્ડીશન|
|Fast food||ફાસ્ટ ફૂડ||Exposure to cold wind||ઠંડી હવા|
|Uncooked food||પકવ્યા વગરનો અથવા અર્ધ પાકેલો ખોરાક||Suppression of natural urges||કુદરતી આવેગો (છીક, અશ્રુ, બગાસું વી.) રોકવા|
|Salty food||વધારે નમક વાળો આહાર||Daytime sleeping||દિવસે ઊંઘવું|
|Spicy food||તીખો આહાર||Ice creams||આઈસ ક્રીમ|
|Oily food||વધુ તેલ વાળો ખોરાક||Cold beverages||ઠંડા પીણાં|
|Fish||માછલી||Coldwater||ઠંડુ પાણી નહાવા અને પીવા માટે|
UNDERSTANDING THROUGH DISCUSSION SESSIONS
We conduct periodic group discussions at our Ayurvedic Hospital and educate people on various topics related to arthritis – the Ayurvedic concept of nutrition, incompatible foods, factors causing arthritis, Ayurvedic diet to prevent arthritis, etc.